In 2017 the accreditation cycle moved from a three year to a four year cycle. As a result of this the Accreditation Committee determined that a mid-cycle audit review would also be undertaken. The timeline, documents and tools used for both of these reviews are quite different.
Full Accreditation Survey (every four years)
This is a comprehenisve review of the intern training program at the health service under consideration. The Accreditation Survey Team evaluates health services as effective training sites, and also evaluates each existing accredited intern term/PGY2 and new proposed intern terms. It also recommends improvements in education and training for interns.
The timeline for the Full Accreditation Survey can be viewed here.PMCT Accreditation Timeline Full Cycle Review
Mid- cycle review (halfway through the four year Full Accreditation period)
A mid-cycle review occurs two years after the full accreditation survey visit. The mid-cycle review process focuses on:
- conditions and recommendations arising from the full accreditation survey visit that have not been met, or are in the process of being finalised;
- changes to AMC standards for intern training programs that have come into effect since the previous visit;
- significant changes in the health service/delivery of service/staffing in any accredited term which will directly impact the junior doctors assigned to that term, since the previous visit;
- Changes to the:
- intern and IMG (PGY1 level) training program or terms since the previous visit; OR
- RMO and IMG (PGY2+ level) terms since the previous visit
- Summary of term evaluations for the period since the last survey visit by
- Interns and IMGs (PGY1 level), OR
- RMOs and IMGs (PGY2+ level)
Self-evaluation against the accreditation standards is not part of the mid-cycle review although feedback is sought in regards to those standards that were not met at the previous survey visit.
The timeline for the Mid cycle Accreditation Review can be viewed here. Accreditation Mid cycle timeline
The Accreditation mid-cycle survey tool is based on the Intern Training National Standards, and has been reviewed and approved by the Accreditation Committee.PMCT Accreditation Mid-Cycle Review Survey Tool